Friday, February 15, 2008

New baby calves

Have you ever seen a baby born?
Any baby?
A calf?
A colt?
A baby?
Not a chick, it's not the same. Although that is still cool.

We have lived on our farm in rural Missouri for 6 1/2 years now and this is the first calf I have seen born. Usually the mama hides somewhere in the woods on the hill out back of the house. We have had so many calves born there we call it birthing hill. I was smart enough to keep the cows down by the house once the first one came on 2/9/2008. We named that one Floyd because it was born on my brother-in-law's birthday and, obviously, his name is Floyd. We have no idea if the calf is a boy or a girl. But in the end it doesn't really matter.
We also have one named after my sister because it was born on her birthday. The cow's name is Andretti with a nickname of Andi after my sister. Andretti's mom was named Car Driver. Jaren named the mom that. Anyways, the bull in the picture is Andi's son born last year. His name is simply Babe. He is the younger of our two bulls, hence, the name Babe. The other bull is named Elvis. Sorry the pictures aren't so great. I will try again tomorrow when it gets light.
I should have taken pictures as it was happening but I didn't think about it. I came home from taking the kids to school. (I had to take the kid with the tuba today.) And I saw this cow laying in the field with her head down. And this little bull was bothering her. I watched her get up and realized there were black feet coming out her back side. She proceeded to head butt this bull a few times. Some of the other cows came to her rescue. They weren't aggressive just stepped between the two. And then she laid back down and started pushing. Within seconds the calf was out and she stood up and starting licking it like any good mother cow should. I was holding my breath hoping it was okay. Then I saw an ear twitch and a breath come. I actually watched it take it's first breath!!! I knew it was going to be alright then. She is a good mama. Very attentive and loving, licking it often and keeping track of it.
This is the third one this month. Our brown Charolais cows are always the first to come and they seem to be really good mamas. I think we have one more from a Charolais and one from one of our black cows that are due soon. Hopefully, I will get to see this miracle of nature happen again in the near future. I don't want to wait another 6 1/2 years.

No comments: